Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Mickey Capper (Vice President)

Written by | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:56 PM

What is important to you at Marin Academy?

I really find my friends important at MA. I think probably the most important thing at MA is just the environment where you can do whatever you want, like hang out with a bunch of people, do a play, or just sit around with someone playing an acoustic guitar and not be judged for it. That’s probably the most important thing about MA.

Why are you running for Vice President?

Well, I see the job as a good opportunity to do a lot of stuff. The job of vice president doesn’t have a lot of responsibilities; but I don’t see that as like, “oh I’ll be able to slack off and have a cool title.” I see it as “I’ll have an opportunity to do a lot of cool things” like organizing events and starting stuff. Plus I just love this school and I think I can help make my senior year here great for everybody.

Why do you feel you are you suited for the job?

I feel like I’m somebody who’s really approachable to just about everyone. Upperclassmen… freshmen, sophomores. I feel like I have a good relationship with everybody. Like, I’m at least on good terms with everyone. With that combination, I feel like I can pull people together and do what we need to do. One of the things on my platform is that I think we need to start Gala again.

What will you bring to the job?

I usually have pretty good ideas about stuff. So I think I could just bring a lot of innovation to what Senate does. I also think that I’d really want to not necessarily expand the role of VP so it’s infringing on another job, but expand it in the sense that it would be a bigger part of the MA community and student life and make that as good as possible. I don’t want to say this and sound completely generic, but you know what I mean.

How much time do you have in your weekly schedule to devote to the student senate?

A lot of time actually. The thing is, I’m very good at procrastinating with homework. And the time that I spend procrastinating I look around for other things to do, and I would fill that time with Senate.

Why should students choose you over the other candidates?

When it comes down to it, everybody in the pool would be a qualified vice president. I just know that I’d be heavily devoted to the job, and especially approachable to everybody. I’d be, like, everybody’s vice president.

What changes can we expect from you should you be elected?

I’d want to bring back Gala. But the thing is I know that people talk about, like sometimes you’ll here in senior speeches and stuff that “the school is changing” and stuff, ever since we started here. But everything changes, and I’m not going to say that “nothing will change” but I would want to do whatever is best for everybody, regardless of what happened before. Not a specific agenda of messing with the system. Specific changes: I’ll be vice president, which is different than the last person being VP, and I’ll work to make changes to the senate and make everybody happy. It’s what everybody would say, but I can promise that I would do that.

Max Meyers can be reached at

COMMENTS