Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Kayla Conti (President)

Written by | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:59 PM

What is important to you at Marin Academy?

I was first attracted to MA’s care free, laid back attitude and preserving that environment is very important to me. I also think it is important forr the students to have a voice. If everything is decided forr us with no input from the students we are often not happy about those decisions, so a student voice is also very important to me. School spirit and participation is also a biggy forr me. I think everyone should be involved in the community whether it be by supporting or participating in a sport, play, dance production, or club/organization. Community involvement is key!

Why are you running for President?

I loved being a part of senate this year and loved the responsibility that came with it. I was very involved with student life and I like knowing what is happening beforre anyone else does. But I learned alot from being on senate and I want to continue that participation. After watching Emma and seeing all that she was able to do with the school I forund I wanted to do the same. It is a lot of work, but I like what comes with being President. I feel like I have a lot to offer the school and I want to lead senate in a direction of success and improvement.

Why do you feel you are suited for the job?

I am a very determined person. Once I set my mind to something I do it and do it to the fullest. I am also a very organized person and know that you have to be in order to lead the school as the President does. I am very approachable and have friends within every class. I am patient and am able to interact with teachers and my superiors respectfully. I also have experience in senate and know how senate goes about getting this done.

How much time for you have in your weekly schedule to devote to the student senate?

I do have a very busy schedule but I am good at time management. I will devote as much time as needed and more to senate.

Why should students choose you over the other students?

I am a very hard worker and have a passion forr this school. I care about the student body a lot and want them to have the best year possible. I have their best interest at heart and want them to be happy with the way their school year plays out.

What changes can we expect from you should you be elected?

Well I hope to change the student-teacher dynamic by building a stronger relationship and more open dialogue between the students and teacher/staff/administration. I hope to improve the dances and organize more on campus activity, following the footsteps of Circle Day. I would love to have more school spirit by possibly have some kinda of class spirit/school spirit activity at one assembly every week. I would like to have it so Seniors have the choice of who introduces them forr their Senior Speech or Senior Art and I would also like to see more student involvement within senate outside of just class reps. I am not promising anything, but I will defiantly fight forr what the students what to see change.

Guest can be reached at