Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Eli Van Wing and Taylor Kinney (Spirit Captains)

Written by | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:47 PM

What do you value here at MA?

Eli: A wide diversity of powerful, and intellectual beings, every single one of whom will one day make their mark on this world, and rise into the Heavens, shouting glory unto thy name!

Taylor: I love all the people here, and that I guess is one of the reasons why I’m running for Spirit Captain, along with being sidekick to His Craziness, Eli.

Eli: You don’t have to be sidekick.

Taylor: All right, well, part of the duo. The crazy duo. I love how nice people are. It brightens my day.

Why did you decide to run for Spirit Captains?

Eli: I am already doing the job of Spirit Captain, and I figure, if I’m already doing it, then having the actual title will square my spirit capabilities. And then, I will be able to take all the people, and make them so happy that they can’t help but get straight A’s.

Taylor: I hadn’t even thought about running for Spirit Captain, but Eli called me, and asked me if I was interested, and I thought it was a grand idea.

What specific plans would you have in terms of in terms of increasing school spirit, or making spirit events at Marin Academy more fun?

Eli: Well, we are going to continue the tradition of having the school competing against each other, because competition is, really, all the fun in the world.

Would that be the Red vs. Black idea?

Eli: No, that’s just too bland.

Taylor: We were going to do that, but even better, even crazier and even cooler. We were thinking of a Monty Python and the Holy Grail medieval-type theme, so maybe magicians and warriors, or in any case something awesome.

Eli: And, we are certainly going to bring back the tradition from two years ago of a pillow fight, a school-wide pillow fight. It’s just too good to refuse.

Taylor: Most definitely.

Do you feel that you would do a better job than the other candidates who are running?

Eli: Oh, most certainly. Their spiritiness is—they’re midgets in comparison to us.

Taylor: You need enthusiasm, and dedication, so that you’ll actually be responsible and get things done.

Eli: If you vote for them, there’s a chance that while they may be spirited, they may not do much. But we will! We have the dedication.

Forest Kerstetter can be reached at

COMMENTS