Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Eli Smith (President)

Written by | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:48 PM

What is important to you at Marin Academy?

Uhhhhh...what is important to me? I really value having school spirit, ‘cause without school spirit, you might as well not be going to school.

Why are you running for student body President?

‘Cause I’m better than everyone. But actually, because the president shouldn’t be super-serial [sic]. And I’m not. I’m hella not super-serial. But I can kinda be super-serial sometimes if you want me to.

Why do you feel you are you suited for the job?

Well, the other candidates just don’t cut it...in terms of...being really awesome.

What will you bring to the job?

I’ll make sure that everyone that wants a breakfast sandwich can have a breakfast sandwich, because sometimes I’ll be in the Caf, wanting a breakfast sandwich, but I can’t get a breakfast sandwich, because there are no more breakfast sandwiches, and also other people can’t get the breakfast sandwich because there are none. Breakfast sandwiches, I mean.

How much time do you have in your weekly schedule to devote to the student senate?

Well, I don’t even curr. At all. (pauses) But seriously, if someone’s like, “Yo, Eli, senate needs you,” I’m there, fo’ sho’. On the reals.

Why should students choose you over the other candidates?

(he ponders this) Cand...can-didates. Can-did-a...dates...(laughs) Candid-dates. Candy dates.

What changes can we expect from you should you be elected?

Well, if people is coming up to me, and is like, “Yo, Eli, I wants this to be changed’d,” then I’d be like, “Yo senate, take you a vote.” And they’d say “Ai’ght, ‘cause you da president, I do dat.” And then, so I be, like, making the changes...change.

Any other comments you’d like to make?

Well, you should vote for me, ‘cause, on the reals, I be the best candidate. And they ain’t nobody who is like me.

Max Chanowitz can be reached at

COMMENTS