Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Brennan Pickman-Thoon (President)

Written by | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:49 PM

What is important to you at Marin Academy? What sorts of things are you involved in, what do you value at Marin Academy?

There are a lot of things I value about Marin Academy. I’m really involved in a lot of different activities here at MA. I do theatre—obviously that’s what most people know me for—but a lot of people probably don’t know I also do sports. I’m on the JV tennis team (for the third year in a row), and I really wish we had more support for our sports teams, to have more people come to the games. And our arts in general should get more support from the community. I was also involved in Yearbook this year, making sure that you all look pretty in your memories for the year. You can also see me around campus, talking to people, and giving hugs and high-five’s.

Do you feel that it’s the student’s council and the President’s responsibility to support the arts and athletic programs? What form would that support take?

I think it’s the responsibility of the student government to encourage school spirit. Obviously the Spirit Captains would be heavily involved in that, but there’s no rule saying that the President can’t have just as much spirit as the Spirit Captains. I really think that getting MA excited about MA again is one of my major platforms.

Why do you feel you’re well suited to the job? What qualifies you to this position?

Well, I was the President of my middle school in my eighth grade year, and I have a lot of experience talking to very different people in the MA community. I’m approachable and enthusiastic about everyone’s ideas, and I would be very willing to make student government a government for and by the students.

Would you say that the other candidates are incapable of bringing those things to the table?

Oh, definitely not. I’m not going to be running any kind of smear campaign, and the other candidates are also incredible people. I just happen to think that my blend of experience and charisma and capabilities make me an ideal candidate for President.

In terms of specific policies you have, what changes can we expect, what would stay the same, what would student government be like if you were President?

I don’t see the student government right now, as doing a lot for the actual needs and desires of the students. I’m sure they’re trying, but I hear people complain a lot about the student government, and about how their needs and desires aren’t being met by the school.

I would work with the faculty and staff to make sure that the needs and desires of the students are made a priority.

Other comments?

Next year, Travis Brownley is going to be our new Head of School, and she knows very little about MA on a day-to-day, how MA works basis. So, the President is really going to have to assume a position of leadership, not only in introducing Travis to our school, but until she gets accustomed to the way things work around here, to make sure that MA stays MA, and that everything that’s great about this school remains fantastic.

Forest Kerstetter can be reached at

COMMENTS