Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Allie Doyle (Vice President)

Written by Teddy Wing | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:49 PM

What is important to you at Marin Academy?

For me personally, over the last couple of years I’ve been involved in a lot of clubs, so I think that’s really important to me. I really want to bring together the grades more. I know in high school, typically people separate into different cliques. So I think with more school picnics, or other events like that, I think we could bring people together more.

I’m also really interested in having the student body get more involved in the community, and I think we could do that with fun activities or fundraisers. We could bring up the school spirit and the sense of fun while we show the community that we care.

Are there any other reasons why you’ve decided to run for Vice President?

I really love this school, and I want to give back. There have been elections, and I’ve always wanted to run, but there has always been some part of me that thought ‘you don’t know the people well enough’, or ‘you don’t know the school well enough’. Now, though, with a new Head of school coming in at MA, I think it’s also the perfect opportunity for me to run.

What would you be able to bring to the job of Vice President?

I think in the past couple of years, I’ve had a lot of leadership experience at MA. Even though I haven’t been involved in the Senate, I’ve been the co-leader of Peace and Justice this year (after being a member for two years), helped start the Model U.N. club, which I am now leading, and also tried to help revamp the dance program. So while I don’t have experience in the Senate, I feel like I’ve really showed that I care about the school in other ways.

I’m one of those people that tries everything, so I’ve experienced basically all parts of MA. I’ve been on sports teams, I’ve been in the visual arts, I’ve been in dance, I was in a school play, and I go to a lot of the events. So I think I have a pretty good idea of the different types of kids at MA, and the different opportunities in general.

You mentioned wanting to try to get the community more involved. Are there any other changes that we can expect from you if you are elected?

Well, I have some ideas. I’m interested in getting the student body involved in the community. For example, at the beginning of each year, the student body could vote on a different organization or non-profit that we could help support throughout the year. We could to it with a 24-hour dance-a-thon, or with bake sales. I think it would be really good to not have it limited to one club, but instead to make it a school-wide effort.

Another thing I want is more fun at MA. When I came freshman year, the vibe was very different. One of the ways that we could have more fun is with a school Field Day, where we all have three-legged races, or tug-of-war. Good natured things like that.

What distinguishes you from the other candidates?

I think it comes down to the fact that I do have a lot of leadership experience already, and I have been really involved in the school community since I was a freshman. You have to be really dedicated to this school, but at the same time, you need to have a fun side, and be able to laugh. Also, I know that I would work well with any of the people who could be elected as President, and I think I could really be able to listen to this school and to what it needs.

Teddy Wing can be reached at

COMMENTS