Student Senate Candidate Interview 2008: Aki Gormezano (President)

Written by Teddy Wing | Posted on Apr 29, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I wanted to start off by asking what’s important to you at Marin Academy?

Well, I’m obviously really connected with a lot of the student body. I care about my classmates, and other people in the school. I’m really involved with the soccer team, I’m involved with Crossroads and Canal Alliance (which is in the Canal), I’m in Peer Resources, and I do Communications Evening. I think that about covers my involvement.

I care about a variety of issues within the school. As you know, I got up in front of the school during Open Forum and said some things about the dance, which weren’t presented very well, but it’s definitely something I care about.

I was wondering why you decided to run for President.

I think I would be a good President and I really care about my school, so I thought I could be helpful as a President.

What sorts of things would you be able to bring to the job?

That’s a tough one. Well, from what I know about the Presidential job, you do the introductions for everybody’s senior speech, and you preside over Senate meetings and help get everything organized and running. I’m a pretty organized person, and I’m not bad as a leader, so I think I would be all right in the Senate. I think I could give pretty good introductions for my classmates because I know a lot of them really well. If I don’t know them, I’ll get to know them, and I’d be willing to do that.

Do you have any plans for changes that you would be interested in making if elected President?

The thing is, right now I’m in Peer Resources, and we’ve been having meetings with some of the Deans and talking about things for next year. Also, since I got up and made that announcement [about the dances], I’ve been thinking about it a lot more. Going up there was kind of rash, and it wasn’t really thought out very well, and I obviously didn’t present what I wanted to say in the best way. That’s why I got up in front of the school and apologised about a week later. Right now, in terms of what I would do with the dances, there are things that I want that I’m sure a lot of other students want, but what we need is a happy medium. Before, dances were a lot more chaotic and crazy. Now they’ve been calmed down a bit, and it would be good to find something in between, but I’m not quite sure how I would plan to do that. Now and next year I hope to continue these meetings with Peer Resources, and hopefully work something out. It’s something I care about, so I’d really like to see change, but I can’t really promise anything.

I’m sure there are other things that I would change, but I don’t really know. There’s really not much in particular that I’d like to change at this moment. We’re going to have to get to next year, and as issues arise, hopefully we’ll be able to change them.

What distinguishes you from the other candidates? Why should students choose you over someone else?

That’s a tough question, because I really do think a lot the candidates running are very qualified. Like I said, I’m pretty good as a leader. I also know my classmates well. I know a decent diversity of people. I’m involved in athletics through soccer, I’m involved with another group of people through Crossroads and Canal Alliance, and another group of people through Peer Resources.

Teddy Wing can be reached at

COMMENTS